Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back from Paris


Hi there! I just got back from a wonderful week in Paris, so that's why I haven't posted in a while. The thing I love about traveling is getting a fresh perspective and seeing how things are done differently in another part of the world. In Paris, I was so impressed by the lovely manners and general sense of civility of the people towards one another; if someone was struggling up a staircase at a subway station with a heavy suitcase, a passerby would undoubtedly stop to help, followed by a genuinely grateful, "Merci beaucoup, Madame/Monsieur." They don't seem to stop to think twice about helping a stranger in need; they just do it instinctively because it is the right thing to do.

Of course, I LOVED the art, history, culture, architecture and food as well. The Louvre was a must-see, with the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo, among other famous works. However, I enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay (above), a museum of 19th-C. art in a huge, light-filled old train station, infinitely more; the colours and subject matter of the Impressionists are just so easy to appreciate. Here's a pic of Degas' "Little Ballerina"; she looks so proud and dignified!



I'll leave you with a pic of some of the yummy treats available at the patisseries that seem to be everywhere:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails